Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Catholic Confession

CONFESSION  (SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION)  IS A SIGNIFICANT PART DURING LENT FOR ALL CATHOLICS.  When Pope Francis was asked  why people should go to confession - he said, "Because we are all sinners."  Everyone needs forgiveness for their sins, for the ways we think and act contrary to the Gospel.  




In a booklet titled "Safeguard your heart," the pope listed 30 key questions to reflect on as part of making an examination of conscience and being able to confess well.  The booklet contains quick introductions to Catholic basics, the text of the Creed, a list of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes.  The pope wrote, confession is meant to be a sincere moment of conversion, an occasion to demonstrate trust in God's willingness to forgive his children and to help them back on the path of following Jesus. 




 The questions include: (From October 10, 2014 Homily)

  • Do I only turn to God when I'm in need?
  • Do I attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation?
  • Do I begin and end the day with prayer?
  • Am I embarrassed to show that I am a Christian?
  • Do I rebel against God's plan?
  • Am I envious, hot-tempered, biased?
  • Am I honest and fair with everyone or do I fuel the "throwaway culture?"
  • In my marital and family relations, do I uphold morality as taught in the Gospels?
  • Do I honor and respect my parents?
  • Have I refused newly conceived life? Have I snuffed the gift of life? Have I helped do so?
  • Do I respect the environment?
  • Am I part worldly and part believer?
  • Do I overdo it with eating, drinking, smoking and amusements?
  • Am I overly concerned about my physical well-being, my possessions?
  • How do I use my time? Am I lazy?
  • Do I want to be served?
  • Do I dream of revenge, hold grudges?
  • Am I meek, humble and a builder of peace?






Some Christians, I was told,  don't want to be Catholics because they have to go to confessions.  Some people don't like the Catholic religion because it is so strict and "complicated."   Catholic confession is FREE.  They'd rather go to psychiatrist and tell all and pay $500 or more per hour.  And there is no forgiveness.




Recycled Web Page



______________________________________



This is dedicated to all who's got nothing to say but bad things to President Bush.




CONDEMNATION


By Roxie Lusk Smith




Until you've walked a second mile


In someone else's shoes,


Or stood an hour in the heat


Of hurts you did not choose.


Until your heart has felt the sting


Of criticizing tongue,


You cannot taste the salty tears


A wounded soul has wrung.




Unless you've walked a moon or more


Along a thorny road,


You cannot feel another's need


To know his trying load.




May God Protect our beloved President Bush who's doing a terrific job! 


Get MSN Messenger with Video Conversation - FREE. The next best thing to being there.


Published 9/4/05   ALT  MSN Group
Web Page: Condemnation Nothing to say but bad things

No comments:

Post a Comment