Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dinuguan

THE BEST FOOD IN THE CULINARY WORLD IS FILIPINO FOOD.  POTS DOWN!  I'm not impressed with French, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and other cooking.  Because of Spanish and Chinese influence, there is no monotony in Filipino dishes when it comes to taste, smell and look.  Maybe, one of my favorite food 'Dinuguan' ( Blood Soup) may gross one who has no idea how good it is when it's properly cooked and seasoned.  When I was in a famous restaurant in Berlin a few years ago I had a plate of blood sausage and  it did not taste good at all.  So bland, no taste.  At last I found the secret recipe of making a tasty 'Dinuguan.' There's only one way to cook blood (from pig or beef - but I prefer pig) - it's the Filipino way.  My preference:

Cook the small pieces of pork belly (I love the fatty skin) in water with salt and ground pepper until tender, about less than an hour.  Use Corning ware.  In the Philippines, folks use cut pieces of pig's ears, liver, heart, pancreas, stomach depending on what regional area.

Add  1/2 cup vinegar but do not stir (this is the secret).  If you stir right away it will never taste good.

Add minced clove garlic, sliced onions, and a little sliced tomato (optional)

Continue cooking for 5-10 min.  Lower down the cooking temperature, then add the blood little by little stirring the mixture while adding and let boil until the blood turns black.

Add more water, season with salt, pepper and Accent to taste.  I add slices of green pepper or if you prefer 3 long hot peppers.  Cook for 5 min. more.

Eat with rice.


I prefer my rice fluffy not sticky

My favorite Basmati Rice - From the foothills of the Himalayas

No comments:

Post a Comment