Monday, October 7, 2013

Lab Tech World Travelers Josie's Tour of Ireland & Scotland


SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER 2013 TOUR

FELLOW WORLD TRAVELER JOSIE HAVE BEEN E-MAILING ME AS SHE TOURED IRELAND AND SCOTLAND.  She had a fun and anxious time of driving on the left side of the road and traveling on her own.  OMG, that is brave! Kahit kailan malakas and luob nyang mag-drive.  It's not for the Goddess of Convenience.

Josie's photos and short notes from the two Kingdoms of rain and stones:

IRELAND


Giant Causeway, Northern Ireland  Rainy day


Cliff of Moher  The windiest place ever.  Had to fight the wind to walk up the Cliffs.  My scarf was blown away but 2 German girls pick it up where it fell gave it back to me.

The Book of Kells (c. 800 AD)  Trinity College, Dublin  The monks interpretation of the Bible in pictures is awesome.  A must see! 



Poulnabrons, The Burren  The Stone Henge of Ireland, close by the Cliffs of Moher


Adare Manor Golf Resort  My abode in Ireland.  This is like Downton Abbey.  It's now owned by an American named Kane.

Dingle Peninsula  Stunning coastal scenery... put on the map in the film Ryan's Daughter.


Fern Garden & Waterfall, Blarney Castle  Yes, I kissed the stone, a bit awkward as I have to bend backwards, hold onto metal rods with the man holding me around my waist so as not to fall into the hole.



SCOTLAND

Holyrood Palace  Official residence of Queen Elizabeth when she visit Scotland.  The Abbey annexed to it is in ruins because of the Reformation Era with the leader John Knox during the Protestant reformation.  Many paintings were destroyed.



Rosslyn Chapel  It is a small chapel but still functioning.  The guide told us that Tom Hanks came through the backdoor where the baptistry is, walked all the way down to the crypt, then the Hollywood Studios took over.  No picture taking allowed so I bought postcards.



Dunfermline Abbey  High Cross Markers found in both Scotland and Ireland
 


Forth Rail Bridge  Built in 1880s.  An engineering marvel at the time - the bridge can sway 1 meter during bad weather.


St. Andrews Old Course  The birth place of golf.  I took the bus from Edinburgh RT to GBP 10.00 and walked all over the place.  Visited St. Andrews University.



Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness  Nessie was shy and did not show herself to us.


 
Glencoe in the Highlands  Absolutely stunning glens

  
________________________________________________________

I was wondering why I have not heard from my college classmate Nerie of So. Salem, New York, for a month?  Ruby & Nora sent me a Christmas card, very thoughtful I must say, because it's by postal and not e-card.

Well, I found out when she called me up last week that she went on a cruise (Norwegian Cruise Line) to Italy, Greece, and Turkey with 4 lab tech friends.


L-R: Rosalinda, Sofie, Nerie, Evelyn, Susan, & Ruby (UST Reunion in Las Vegas, June 2007)

Published 2/5/09  altgroup multiply
Web Page: Lab Tech World Travelers

No comments:

Post a Comment