Monday, January 6, 2014

McAllen Holiday News


THE END OF EVERY YEAR IS ALWAYS THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR ME.  I'm back at the labyrinth after spending down south as a  Winter Texan, also called snowbird .  I did not have any problem at Chicago's  O'Hare International Airport, I removed my leather jacket and sneakers, placed my hand carry and handbag on the bins, and did the usual yoga position as I passed the security x-ray machine.  However, there's always something new: the TSA officer checked behind the back of my head, touched the nape for something.  Last year, my wrist/watch  was checked.


United Airlines Terminal - Chicago O'Hare



My flight was on time.  At the Houston airport, walking to my gate to McAllen, I passed by at the bronze statue of President George H. W. Bush.  The airport was named after him.  At age 18, he was the youngest navy pilot and survived after being shot down by the Japanese during World War II.  I was quite hungry when I arrived in McAllen so I was taken to Logan's Steakhouse where I ordered  porterhouse.  I'm complaining eating steaks is so different now - no more fats which I like very much.  Beef fats when grilled or fried are the best.  Cows now are so lean and all meat.




Logan's give free peanuts

The following day I had breakfast at El Patio with big bro and Marilou.  Everyday, we ate lunch at different Filipino restaurant around town - Kucina and Sinugba and Le Lai, a Vietnamese restaurant.  I was told by our server Sergio that Le Lai was a Vietnamese general. 


Henry and Tata


The Abad


Sergio

Pan-fried noodles


 At Tinseltown USA we watched the film Saving Mr. Banks starring Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Oscar-nominated best actress Emma Thompson.  


Unusual back alley decorations



No comments:

Post a Comment