Monday, June 10, 2013

Full Moon Over Evanston

MAGIC IS THE MOONLIGHT ON THIS LOVERS JUNE NIGHT


http://youtu.be/Wbn87I-OA3k

Full moon happens once a month, virtually full a day or two on either side of the official date.  It occurs when the moon is nearly opposite the sun in the sky and it always rises on the east at the time of sunset.  The orbit is slightly tilted with respect to the earth's equator so the exact spot changes every month.  As does the sun, the moon looks squashed down at the horizon because the earth's atmosphere acts as a lens bending the light and flattening the image down.  The moon looks larger at the horizon than it does in the sky because of an optical illusion - when low it is surrounded by visual reference points while high on the sky is not.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata


The June full moon will be a supermoon and will look especially large.  The May and June moons happen to be when the moon is closest to the earth, about 7 percent bigger.  The moon's orbit is slightly elliptical, not a perfect circle.

Full moon rises watch schedules: Looking forward behind my binocular
June 23  8:40 pm
July 22  8:03 pm
August 20  7:13 pm

Cheesy moon looming behind the saguaros in Arizona

Update 6/10/13
*************************
Published 6/29/10 lib's labyrinth
Web Page: Moon
*************************

Moonlight

A cappella Nearness of You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G4UZJh8qNI



Up-close

1 comment:

  1. I just love the full moon, I am a LUNATIC!!! I know when the full moon is every month as I look at it & just mesmerized by its beauty. I have a good binoculars so I can see the detail of the moon. I am so happy with the orientation of my house when I built it. The back of the house where my bedroom is, is oriented to the South, hence, I can watch the moon from my bed. During the Summer months, the moon is lower in the sky & at wintertime it is much higher. Either way, I still stare at it & marvel at its beauty, At times I plan my vacation to the full moon specially if I am somewhere remote that the moon appear even brighter.

    ReplyDelete