Saturday, July 31, 2010

Maze: Rio Grande Valley

Rio Grande Valley
Does the sun shine on a cloudy day? Always.  Is the armadillo a fine and unique animal specimen?  You bet!  Is the Rio Grande Valley deep in the south of Texas the best winter hideaway in the whole United States?  Well, call me a RIO GRANDE VALLEY GIRL (RGVG) if only for once a year.  Every December I pack up my luggage and escape to the all-year-round fine weather of the Rio Grande Valley.  I join the so-called "Winter Texans" who stay until spring.  Well, in my case, from December to January.  While there...I go buy some of my favorite sweet Filipino delicacies such as mamon, ensaymada, and pandan cake.  I even bought a Barong Tagalog for $20.  I also met my friendly kabayans. 
Rio Grande Valley Girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyydsFWnd0U

In the 1970's, Winter Texans and a few Filipino immigrants from other states enjoyed the beauty of the valley and the hot but healthy weather north of Rio Bravo (Bold River).  Also known as the Rio Grande River, it has a boundary of 800 miles.  Upon the encouragement of Mom Breyfogel, a McAllen pioneer and a Republican supporter of President Richard M. Nixon, they decided to stay and settle down.


Cabalen (Pampanguenio word for 'friend') - favorite Filipino restaurant - ang sarap!


I go to restaurant rounds with my folks.  We had sumptuous dinner at Logan's Roadhouse (voted the Best Steakhouse in Texas), Golden Corral (I loved their grilled fatty pork) and King's Chinese Buffet (yummy!).

No comments:

Post a Comment