Sunday, October 14, 2012

Aguas Calientes Machu Picchu

AGUAS CALIENTES- MACHU PICCHU PUEBLO
Sunday, October 14  After the tour, our bus took us back down the mountain to Aguas Calientes.  The small town is charming and easy to stroll. Luz and I had a late but hearty and delicious free lunch at Inkaterra Cafe located at Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel.
 Loma Salcito
 Leche flan
 Souvenir shopping at the market
Inkaterra Hotel was fully-booked for our Peru tour so after walking a short distance and enjoying the local flavor we checked in at equally beautiful Hatuchay Hotel at around 6:00 PM.  I did not pay attention at the time but we were told by the guy at Reception Desk to close the window.  Well, the windows were all closed when we entered our room.  When I woke up, I saw some insect bites in my arms.  I immediately checked the bed and big shirt for bed bugs - turned out to be mosquito bites.  Itchy!  I found out mosquitoes are the other inhabitants, day and night.  This race of mosquitoes are tiny (2-3 mm) and greyish.   When I was vampire-sucked by big mosquitoes in the Philippines it did not even itched.
Hatuchay Hotel
Artistically-designed elevator
I was happy until I ate it.  My pork chicharron looked good but it did not taste very good.   Being a pure meat eater and a pig connoisseur, I could tell it had been in the freezer for quite some time before it was defrosted.  It's to be expected because folks prefer eating guinea pigs and alpaca meat.
 Cuzco Church at the main plaza.  When I visit a church in any country I always make three wishes.
 King Pachacutec of the 9th Dynasty is the most popular of all Inca kings.
 Cuzco band entertaining tourists
Before leaving for Cuzco on October 15th, I bought at the last minute a handmade decoration (Mercado - $20) for my kitchen from this lady.
 At the train to Cuzco, Luz had an interesting chat with a lady from Rio de Janeiro

No comments:

Post a Comment