Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kut-Kut



Recycled Web Page

___________________________________________________________


 KUT-KUT
Lost Art of the Philippines

WHAT IS KUT-KUT?  All I know of kut-kut is that it's a Filipino word for nitpicking or pilfering - like "nagkutkut ng pagkain" or something like that!  What does a lab tech know?
Just for curiosity I dropped by at the showing of Kut-Kut at my local library.  It turned out to be so different from what I was thinking.  Maybe not...mukha ngang kinotkut...very modern. multilayered, interwoven, and very technological.  What is old is new!
[Instead of hors d'oeuvre, nagkutkut ako (I picked) my favorite Shanghai egg rolls, puto (rice cake), pizza, cookies and delicious desserts at the food table for the art lovers. Thank you.]
Kut-Kut is an ancient Philippine art and technique based on late 15th-century European and Oriental art forms.  Specific designs represent the identity of a tribal unit on the island.  Artisans from the province of Samar were known for kut-kut artistry.  The popularity peaked in the mid-1800s and gradually faded away due to modern art materials and techniques from the west.
I met Fred DeAsis, the one and only international old art revival artisan of Kut-Kut in North America. http://fdeasis.com
Fred DeAsis proudly posed in one of his favorite Kut-Kut
I knew his Kut-Kut is priceless but I still dared to ask!
I met one of his 8 sisters, Dr. Evelyn Natividad, who's a Chicago civic leader and responsible in building the thinking statue of Jose Rizal , the Philippine National Hero, at Montrose Park, Lake Shore Drive, Chicago.
Dr. Natividad with Gelly Carandang (Kut-Kut sponsor) and sister Chit.
Fellow Filipino artists in Chicago dropped by at the showing.
Fred being interviewed by one of Filipino reporters.


 
  
TechnoArt web page 03112007

Published 11/7/07  ALT MSN Group
Web Page: Kut-Kut

No comments:

Post a Comment