Wednesday, December 5, 2012

ALT Recipe: Pork Adobo

Previously Published on March 4, 2009   altgroup website
********************************************

PORK BELLIES ADOBO.
Oink, oink.  I love pork being a carnivorous eater.  I tasted Mila's recipe of pork bellies adobo and it blew me away to pork heaven. 
I was at this Skokie grocery 2 weeks ago and for the first time (I rarely do grocery) saw and bought 2 packs of pork bellies.  I love pork bellies because of the attached fats and skin. I got home, cut the pork bellies to mouth size, took out a large pot, drown the pork bellies in water, let it swam, and boiled the meat for almost one and a half hour to soften al dente.




It was boiling and I did not like the smell of the boiling thing.  I said to myself, uh-oh, I bought and picked a butchered MALE PIG! When I was young my mama told me if the pork meat smell upon boiling it's a male pig.  Now what did I do? I can't throw the oink thing away, I'm a rabid meat eater.  Thank for the adobo recipe -- where you can throw every measure of soy sauce, garlic powder, tomatoes, salt, peppercorn and bay leaves.  Yes of course, I did not forget the vinegar or plain acetic acid.  Now, here's a secret to great adobo of any kind, including chicken.  When you add your vinegar, do not mix the pot.  Leave it boiling  I must say, it turned out okay, but not too good.
To paraphrase, "Life is like a pack of pork bellies, you don't know what you're gonna get."
What about my second pack of pork bellies, you ask?
It was a FEMALE PIG! Fresh and smelled wonderful! No male porky smell at all.  There ought to be butcher law not to kill male pigs!!   And girlfriend, it was the best! The best pork bellies adobo that I had ever cooked! Yummy, yummy!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment