Saturday, May 16, 2009

Notre Dame University Brouhaha

Whoa! What a slap in the face by the higher powers that be to the honorable graduates of Notre Dame University, a Roman Catholic institution in Indiana, my very first home state in the United States, by inviting Obama as guest speaker to the graduating class of 2009.  It's like, shall we say, inviting a Jewish holocaust survivor or an Israeli President to speak in an Iranian Islamic university.  I am being mild, not too mean in my comparison. 
What is Notre Dame in English? You know, "Our Lady" meaning the Virgin Mother of God, Mary.  Obama, after few days in office right away signed the partial-birth death penalty and a few weeks ago, overturned the Bush Administration policy in the funding of Embryonic Stem Cells research.  Of course, it's so stupid and incredulous to give Obama an honorary degree!  I wonder what kind of honorary degree, anyway? What are these Jesuits thinking?!
I think concerned NDU alumni, priests, nuns and student graduates have a right to protest without being accused by the pro-Obama mainstream media of being bitter because the leftist liberal Obama was elected as President. 
I must confess, I don't really pay much attention who's going to speak to where, why, and what university.  As a graduate of another Roman Catholic university from a foreign country I don't have any connection with NDU. 
All I know then and now is that NDU is more known for football and Knute Rockne than academic accomplishments.  Giggles.  If I'm not mistaken, didn't President Ronald Reagan play Knute in an old movie and said something like " Give one for the Gipper."  What is a gipper? Is it a football term? For some reason I only got to see the ending.  He was dying, I think.  I have to rent the movie to refresh my memory.
Lastly, congratulations to all deserving 2009 graduates!


No comments:

Post a Comment